As part of National Fire Prevention Week, we wanted to share 10 easy ways you can prevent a fire. According to the American Red Cross, 80% of Americans don’t realize that home fires are the single most common disaster across the nation. By following these 10 simple fire safety tips, you can prevent a disaster from occuring.
10 Ways You Can Prevent a Fire Today
1. Blow out candles before leaving a room or going to bed.
2. When cooking, keep towels, pot holders and curtains away from flames.
3. Keep matches, lighters and other ignitable substances in a secured location out of the reach of children, and only use lighters with child-resistant features.
4. Hire a certified professional to inspect your chimney and heating equipment annually
5. Keep fire in your fireplace by using a glass or metal fire screen large enough to catch sparks and rolling logs.
6. Have wood and coal stoves, fireplaces, chimneys, and furnaces professionally inspected and cleaned once a year.
7. Keep candles at least 12 inches away from anything that can burn such as bedding, curtains or clothing.
8. Clean cooking surfaces on a regular basis to prevent grease buildup.
9. Always check the kitchen before going to bed or leaving the home to make sure all stoves, ovens, and small appliances are turned off.
10. Keep all potential sources of fuel like paper, clothing, bedding or rugs at least three feet away from space heaters, stoves, or fireplaces.
Related Topics: Short Read